Tuesday, December 6, 2011

MY Top 20...

So, I'm a bit of a sucker for end of year lists. I like and hate them in equal measure. With this being the first year that I have had a blog at the end of a year I couldn't really resist the temptation to do one of my own.

Here it is:

1. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for my Halo
2. Real Estate - Days
3. Tune Yards - Whokill
4. Pete and the Priates - 1000 Pictures
5. Gruff Rhys - Hotel Shampoo
6. F**ked Up - David Comes to life
7. Woods - Sun and Shade
8. Smith Westerns - Dye it Blonde
9. Metronomy - The English Riviera
10. Low - C'mon
11.Bill Callahan - Apocalypse
12. Veronica Falls - S/T
13. Lets Wrestle - Nursing Home
14. Mazes - A Thousand Heys
15. Wilco - The Whole Love
16. Wild Flag - S/T
17. White Denim - D
18. Destroyer - Kaputt
19. War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
20. St Vincent - Strange Mercy

In reality this could probably have been kept down to about 15 or 16 albums that have been released this year, but I kind of like the round "20". I'd say the last six or so are albums that I either thought I'd like more or just haven't listed to enough. I also wanted to like the Battles, Wild Beasts, Peaking Lights and Deerhoof albums from this year more. I think the Peaking Lights is starting to grow a bit more, but sorry chaps, it didn't happen quite soon enough.

On the other hand, had the albums by Beach House and Deerhunter that came out last year have come out this year then they would most certainly have made the list. I'm sure Bradford Cox is gutted.

And finally, if I had the money I would have already have brought albums by The Bats, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Stephen Malkmus and Iceage by now. But I don't and K's mom's christmas list request will do the job for them.

OK, maybe I'll write about Christmas soon!

1 comment: