Monday, October 17, 2011

Cycle Paths and Sky(kind of)scrapers

With K wrapped up in grading papers, Sunday afternoon seemed as good a time as any to check out the cycle path that runs close by. I decided that I would head south towards downtown rather than north to Worthington. Mostly this was because it was closer, but also I hadn't been to see the river and the tall buildings next to it.

Most of the Olentangy trail was fairly dull and involved lots of cris-crossing over the river and under the highway and back again and in some cases back again. With downtown in sight the trail ended and the Scioto Greenway began. I kind of just followed it until it stopped, taking in as I did some pretty nice views of kind of tall buildings and a good few birds. Is this a Heron? Possibly.

I kept going and there was a bird viewing area and there were a fair few to see. It was all pretty pleasant and then I ended up on a pavement crossing the river. In my mission to make up some sort of loop, I tried pretty hard to work my way back along the other side of the river. The lack of any discernible path held me back somewhat, so I turned, retraced my steps and kept going until I found another bridge to try my luck with. This time it worked and I was able to follow the river on the west side for a while. It didn't last long, and after a while I was back on the original trail heading home.

My journey was, though, briefly interrupted when a cop on one of the bridges above called me over to stand beneath him while he shouted at me. Fortunately he was just enquiring as to whether I had seen a car on the cycle path that he had had reports of. I hadn't. With that he thanked me and I was on my way.


1 comment:

  1. Certainly looks like the herons we have here in England.

    ReplyDelete