Monday, October 10, 2011

Pumpkins and Other Food

They started to appear a couple of weeks ago or so, now they are everywhere. I'm talking about pumpkins. I have never seen them in so many different shapes and sizes as outside the local supermarket (above). They are even available in small, just-for-a-pie sizes and at 89 cents it seemed rude not to. The guy on the checkout didn't seem to know about the smaller, cheaper size though and when I got home, I realized he had charged me a big fat $4.99. I took my pumpkin and receipt back the next day and got my $4 back, thanks very much Giant Eagle.

As well as the pumpkins themselves, all manner of pumpkin-themed and -flavored goods are available. Back in the UK, the window in which K was able to get her pumpkin latte always seemed pretty narrow. Here though, if a coffee shop doesn't have a pumpkin option they are very much the odd ones out. I don't know much about coffee, but K was particularly excited to pick up 1/2 a pound of pumpkin blended beans at our local Cup 'O Joes. My personal favorites so far are the "mini pumpkin bobbs" we picked up the other day. They're kind of mini whoopie pies and very good indeed.

On Sunday at our first slightly trendy flea market, as well as there being lots of vinyl and thrift store type clothing stalls, there was also a couple of places for lunch. I can't remember what it was called, but my sandwich was made up of: pulled pork, fried plantain, pinto beans, lettuce and a lovely avocado sauce. I took up the option of (vegan) homemade hot sauce and creamy garlic aoli. It was very good. It didn't come from a food truck, but there are plenty of them around. They seem to offer good, interesting food from a van, rather than the usual cheap, boring, bad food you get from a (burger) van. I am particularly keen to try "The Pickled Swine" offering all sorts of lovely pork goodness. I'll be sure to let you know how it is.

We stepped into the nearest convenience store and chose a couple of candy bars for dessert. I went for a Zero. Not sure exactly what it was about the candy that made it a Zero, but there it was. It was pretty good, although the nougat was covered with white chocolate, not fudge as I understand it. I will have another soon enough.

2 comments:

  1. Kristen must be in pumpkin heaven at the moment! Pickled Swine sounds great, I'd have some of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is loving it. We stopped for ice cream the other day and she didn't hesitate to choose the pumpkin and buttermilk seasonal special!

    ReplyDelete