Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Sandwich and the World Series

Having previously outlined my intention to check out the Pickled Swine food truck on an earlier blog I made good on that promise after one of my (not quite daily) trips to the local supermarket when I saw that the truck was just one block down the road. After a bit of deliberation I went for the “Angus Young”. Made on rye bread and with roast beef, goats cheese, spicy bacon aioli, tomatoes, greens and braised red cabbage making up the generous filling, and at $9 it wasn’t cheap but could certainly have been shared. I didn't though. Just so you know, I am getting exercise playing soccer three times a week, not just eating.


The world series started on Wednesday and the St Louis Cardinals took the first game; evening it up for the series last night though, the Texas Rangers won 2-1. It's pretty exciting and close stuff and having read my “Watch Baseball Smarter” book I'm pretty much on top of what is going on. I am, though, still finding the physique of some of the athletes that whack it into the stands and trot around for a home run pretty funny. Look out at some stage for a top 5 of Steve's chunky baseball stars.


Watching quite a bit of baseball, it was only a matter of time until I felt it necessary to have "a team". A couple of issues affecting this decision are, firstly: K's family. Her dad is a big LA Dodgers fan, but I can't really get behind that as they're never on TV here in Ohio and LA is pretty far away. K's uncle and cousin are big Cardinals fans. They are a bit closer to here and I do happen to know a bit more about them (and they have a player named Albert Pujols! That's pronounced "poo holes"! - ed.), but they are in the World Series and reaching for that potential glory so quickly seems a bit much to me. Being here in Columbus, the local team, the Clippers, are the feeder team to the Cleveland Indians. Having watched a few of their games and being amused by the fact that one of their players was called Carlos Santana wasn't quite doing it for me. The team hammering them now and again though was the Detroit Tigers. I'm sure they'll be pleased to know that they've got my vote. They have the best pitcher in the game (Justin Verlander) and a good few people that can smack it into the seats; Detroit is also pretty local being just a 3 hour drive away...

No comments:

Post a Comment